Upton Hall is the Grade 2* listed Headquarters of the British Horological Institute. The extensive property is located within the Upton Conservation Area and also features a derelict coach house and stable block, adjoining glasshouse, and a Grade 2 listed Triumphal Archway.
The site currently accommodates the Institute's offices, library and archive, the School of Horology workshops, student residential accommodation and a café. The project involves the relocation, extension and enhancement of these facilities, in order to ensure a long term sustainable future for the institute at Upton Hall. The BHI has recently been awarded HLF Stage 1 funding and work is now progressing towards the Development and Project Delivery stages.
A key part of the proposal includes the creation of a new world class centre of excellence for the School of Horology, which is one of the last in the UK to train clock and watch makers. This will be accommodated within the stable block conversion, along with exhibition areas, enabling the public greater access to the BHI collection of timepieces.
Another key element of the proposal is the careful restoration of the Ballroom and Billiards Room within the 1895 West Wing of the hall. In addition, an extension to this area will create an attractive venue for corporate functions and weddings.