Working alongside Gleeds, Guy Taylor Associates have been involved in concept and feasibility studies for the new Ceremonial Hall for Nottingham Trent University.
The Ceremonial Hall, a former Wesleyan Reform Chapel and most recently used as a Synagogue by Nottingham Hebrew Congregation is a Grade II listed building on Shakespeare Street in Nottingham. Built in 1854 to designs by Thomas Simpson the hall will now play host to the Graduation ceremonies for the University’s graduating students.
The proposals sought to convert the existing chapel building to facilitate the ceremonies whilst an extension to the rear of the building to replace the existing 20th century extension, provides practice rooms, recording studios a dance and performance space and a bar/café spaces for the University’s School of Music. The two buildings would be linked by a glazed atrium containing all circulation.
The Dynamic form of the proposed extension references the use of the spaces within for music and dance and provides a contrast to the former chapel’s classical architecture.